The 2014 Lexus IS F Sport SPG Edition is my concept for the ultimate Lexus IS sports sedan. SPG stands for "Shibetsu Proving Ground," the Japanese test track where Lexus develops their vehicles. It is the basis of my inspiration, along with the three concepts of seamless anticipation, incisive simplicity, and intriguing elegance found in Lexus' L-finesse design philosophy. Thus, the changes are meant to be bold and make the IS stand out of the crowd but at the same time, be stylish, simple, and even sportier than it already is. It was critical that the modifications not detract from the current IS design and identity but instead enhance them by accentuating the Lexus identifying symbols found on the car. Finally, modifications were only considered if they could be completed within 10 weeks.
The majority of the body was left unaltered, preserving the IS F Sport's great design while also minimizing modification time. The structure of the car's face, fenders, roof, trunk, and doors were kept intact. Changes were made only to the bottom of the rear bumper for the customized diffuser, side rocker panels, and hood. Specific changes and the rationale for those changes are outlined below:
The following changes are meant to improve the performance or sporty look of the Lexus IS F Sport:
- Custom front spoiler molded to the F Sport's contours designed to decrease front end lift
- Custom rear diffuser to reduce drag
- Rear trunk spoiler to improve airflow
- Side air intake by rocker panel to cool rear breaks
- Dual hood vents to cool engine bay
- LFA wheels with red painted F Sport calipers for better handling and looks
- Black painted roof and trunk top for a sleeker appearance
- Lowered stance (via an air suspension system modification if time permits) for better aerodynamics and appeal
The following changes are meant to enhance Lexus' identity
- Matching Lexus mesh and chrome L-shaped motifs were added to the front air intakes and rear diffuser. Existing chrome accents were also left unchanged to keep the Lexus Spindle "framed" and maintain the car's elegance.
- Pearl Yellow Paint new to the IS (but previously available on the LFA) makes the Lexus Spindle Grill stand out even more. As such, the hood is painted yellow as opposed to black to ensure the Grill stands out as much as possible.
- Lexus IS asset images were used and altered
- LFA wheels were from photos personally taken
- All other elements were 100% created in Adobe Photoshop
- Background was kept simple to avoid distraction and focus attention on the car's design itself